Does anyone else have a handful? A handful of what you ask? Apparently, I have a handful of kids. Why is it that everywhere I go that is basically the first thing out of a stranger's mouth when they see me coming with my children? Wow, you must have your hands full. Boy, you sure have a handful. Is it a compliment or a put down?
I had yet to figure it out until today...at Wal-Mart of all places. On most occasions I have no problem taking G, B and L into places. It is not hard, it just takes pre-thought and organization. I had 1 errand to run this morning at Wal-Mart. I needed to return something and buy milk. I wanted to be in and out of there in 10 minutes. Wal-Mart can get you in trouble when you have a 3 year old. He wants everything he sees. So I tried to alleviate any wandering around and decided to put G in the stroller with L and put B in the Bjorn. Apparently, I must have hand my hands full with 2 kids in a stroller and 1 strapped to my body in the 100 degree heat. Before I could make it to customer service, 4 strangers said, " Wow, you must have your hands full!" I politely nodded, smiled and went about my business. In my mind, I am thinking I hate that phrase. In my opinion, it sounds rude. My children are well behaved in public 99% of the time. So why are my hands full and the lady with 1 child that is screaming for a toy or pulling things off the shelf doesn't have her hands full. But I digress...
But, while I am standing in the customer service line seething about how full my hands apparently are, an older gentlemen joins me in line and strikes up a conversation about my kids. It was your basic conversation, and then he started the dreadful phrase...Wow, you have your hands full, is what I was preparing myself to hear for the 5th time that morning. But instead that sweet gentleman made my day and said, "Wow, you have a handful of blessings!" So from today forward when some random stranger tells me I have my hands full, I will simply respond, "I sure do. I have a handful of blessings!"
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I love this story. You do have 3 wonderful blessings!
I love it too! We are lucky to have you and all your blessings in our life!
Great anecdote, I.
I feel the same way, as I get the same comment regularly.
I think that is my new response!
What a sweet story! It's nice to be reminded of the positive side of parenting. Yeah, it's hard, but who would ever trade it? Thanks for sharing!
Great story! You are right you do have a hand full of blessings!
Post a Comment