Singapore is seaping into our everyday life.
The kids don't ask when we are going back to Texas as much or ask for play dates with friends back home. They ask but not as much.
They seem to be acclimating well to this new home we have made for ourselves here. They have friends here now that they would be devastated to leave.
As everyday goes by I see them growing accustomed to calling Signapore home... for now at least. It makes me happy to know that they can adapt, so the next time we move (and there will be a next time) I won't be so stressed about it.
However, there is one thing I see changing and I am not so sure I like it.
One of the things that set them apart from everyone else here is slowly disappearing. The thing that let everyone know that not only are we Americans but Texans.
Their southerness. Their Texas twang. It's fading. It makes me sad.
The cadence or inflection in their words are changing. Their vocabulary is changing. They are picking up the Singapore way of saying and doing things.
Here are a few changes:
bathroom~toilet
stroller~pram
elevator~lift
cold water~chilled water
Diet Coke~ Coke Light
I still require the use of using Ma'am and Sir when answering an adult. I also have them use Ms. and Mr. when addressing adults. These things are not common here and often adults will ask them to use only their first name. We do respect the request as different cultures use different manners. That is what is great about living here. You get to learn about so many different cultures and traditions but in the process I want my kids to respect and not forget their from Texas.
So, the next time we are home in Texas, I am going to smother them in all things Texas.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Don't you worry! After being here for a few days or how ever long you're here I bet your girls won't want to leave their BFF! ;) And, I'm sure they'll have their Texas twang back! Crawford casa will be open on Dec. 30 (my family leaves the evening of the 29th). Can't wait!!!
It will come back Ivy - fast! Cam had almost a full Scottish accent when we moved back and it was gone in two weeks. That was sad too. Make sure you get their new accent/vocabulary on tape! We have bits and pieces while taping other things but I would love a full interview with her with her accent.
Post a Comment