Thursday, September 4, 2008

Transitioning girls

This has been a week full of transitions, not just for the kids but for me as well. I am no longer teaching part time so I have had to transition into being at home 100% of the time. So far so good but some days have their moments. Bryce and Layne have had many transitions this week. Some were expected others not so much.

1. They decided it was time to move into their big girl beds. I was not ready for this transition at all. They decided to attempt to climb out of their cribs. Luckily, I was there to witness the fiasco. Layne was able to get out "properly" but Bryce was about to topple on her head. So we converted their cribs over to toddler beds. Bedtime has been a breeze since the transition but naptime is disasterous!!! Everyday has gotten better but we definitely have some work to do. They have enjoyed their freedom of getting in and out of bed. I have caught them reading in their rocking chair, pulling stuff out of drawers, playing the recorder, climbing in and out of each other's bed, and the list goes on...I even caught Layne playing in Bryce's bed while Bryce was asleep.

2. The girls had their first day of preschool today. They were so excited to go. Their backpacks were packed and lunch boxes full. They walked right into Ms. Liz's room and took off. It was like Brian and I were not even there. So we left...not one tear, not one ~where you going mommy? NOTHING. NADA. ZILCH. I guess they were ready to start school, even if it is only one day a week.

3. Finally the hardest transition yet...the Paci Fairy visited our house today while the girls were at school. I had been preparing them for weeks about how the Fairy would be visiting our house as soon as the girls started school. I told them that since they are going to school and now sleeping in big girl beds that pacifiers were for babies and the Fairy needed them to give to new babies. Layne really got into NOT having one all afternoon. She kept saying she was a big girl and goes to school and did not need a pacifier. Bryce asked a couple of times for it but I distracted her from dwelling to long on it. However, both girls WANTED their pacifiers at bedtime. At first I thought this is going to be a rough night but after about 2 minutes of fussing they were asleep. I hope it lasts all night...

Bye Bye pacifiers...you will be missed more than you know!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

That is a LOT of pacis. What did you really do with them all?

Candace Hickey said...

Ivy, the girls are getting so big! What days do they go to school? We are Mondays and Wednesdays...also, you will have to fill me in on tips for the big girl bed. We are still in cribs...but you never know!
I love the school pictures...and My gym!

Anonymous said...

I'm about to cry! Big girl beds, no more pacis, and school??? I want our babies to stay babies for a little bit longer!

Anonymous said...

I am dreading when that fairy has to come to our house and take Dutch's "mama"! He is a first class paci head for reals!

ckws said...

I'm terrified of taking away the paci! Will you fly out here and handle this for me?!