Our beloved family pet, Buzz, of almost 15 years left us on Friday to find peace in doggie heaven.
Thursday morning he seemed like himself but as the day wore on I noticed that his walking kept getting worse and worse and by 1:00 pm he was falling and slipping quite a bit. Of course being the stoic dog that he is he never complained and continued to want to be in the same room with everyone despite his pain. As the evening approached, I tried to give him his medicine to ease the pain with little success. He would not even take it with people food. I finally forced it into him after many attempts. But after about 30 minutes he vomitted it all up. So the kids and I spent the rest of the evening taking care of sweet Buzz and giving him lots of love and attention. Layne kept saying that Buzz had a crazy walk. I tried to set the ground work for what was to come...how Buzz was very old and very sick now and how he had trouble eating and walking.
Our vet told us last summer that as Buzz ages it would probably not be drawn out but rather quick when his time comes. I just never thought it would be this fast...I was not ready for this! I thought I would be but I wasn't.
Friday we took Buzz in to see his vet and he told us what we dreaded to hear... that it was probably time to let Buzz go. My brain knew that was going to be the outcome but my heart could not accept it. We had the kids say their goodbyes, hugs and kisses and Brian left with them and I stayed with Buzz till the end. He left very peacefully as I stroked his fur and told him what a good dog he was and how very much he was loved.
Graham understands what has happened and has had 1000 questions about it like how does he get to heaven, where is his body, can he fly in heaven, why can't the dr just give him medicine to get better, will I (Graham) see him when I get to heaven, etc...The sweetest thing Graham did on the way home was offer to pray for Buzz and he asked Jesus to make sure Buzz is happy and safe in heaven and not in any pain.
The girls just ask when is Buzz coming home and Layne still wakes up in the morning looking for him. I even find myself having to catch myself from saying close the door so, Buzz does not get out or if there is snack crumbs on the floor, I look for Buzz to come lick it up. I know time heals most wounds but I never knew how deep it would really hurt.
One of the ways we distracted the children from being sad was telling happy stories about Buzz. Each person shared a memory and we all ended up laughing and smiling at all the joy Buzz brought our family.
Buzz loved car rides, water, boats, chasing rabbits, following kids around waiting for food to fall, having his fur brushed, treats, his ears rubbed and he mostly just loved being around his family. He was always is the same room with us right up until the end!

We will always love our Buzzy bear!

1 comment:
I cried reading this. Matt was choked up talking about him yesterday. I think he thought of Buzz as one of the guys, and had a ton of memories to share with me. I am sending my love and hugs to you. He had a wonderful life with an amazing family.
Post a Comment